APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 30, 2023.
The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) is introducing the 9th Edition of the SCIENCE BY WOMEN program, aligning with its mission to promote the advancement of Africa through the endeavors of its women. This program aims to foster the leadership of African women in scientific research and the transfer of technology while also enhancing the capabilities of research institutions within their home countries. By focusing on areas such as health, biomedicine, sustainable agriculture, food security, water, energy, and climate change, the primary goal is to empower African women researchers and scientists to tackle Africa’s significant challenges.
Unrestrained development profoundly impacts women’s lives, yet they encounter social, institutional, and economic barriers that hinder their ability to address the major issues confronting the continent. The gender gaps in science and technology, in both the public and private sectors, affect the entire population of Africa. Closing this gap is crucial for long-term progress and equitable growth, as it has detrimental consequences for African nations’ balanced and sustainable development.
This initiative aims to empower African women researchers to spearhead Africa’s transition to a knowledge-based and innovation-driven economy. This will be achieved by translating research findings into tangible goods, processes, services, and technologies that have a meaningful impact on people’s lives.
To accomplish their ambitious objective, FMxA collaborates with renowned Spanish Centers of Excellence that are highly esteemed in Spain and globally. This collaboration ensures the maintenance of scientific research excellence across various fields. For the 9th edition of our program, they have partnered with the following research centers:
- BioCruces Bizkaia Health Research Institute (BC)
- Deusto Institute of Technology (DeustoTech)
- The Basque Center for Climate Change (BC3)
- Donostia International Physics Center (DIPC)
- Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
- Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
- Basque Center for Macromolecular Design and Engineering (POLYMAT Fundazioa)
- The Basque Center for Applied Mathematics (BCAM)
- Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands (PLOCAN)
- Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias (IAC)
- Biomedical and Health Research Institute (IUIBS)
- Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona (ICMAB)
- Spanish National Center of Biotechnology (CNB)
- Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT)
- Centre for Genomics Regulation (CRG)
- The Institute of Environmental Science and Technology at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (ICTA – UAB)
- Institute for Neuroscience (IN)
- Material Physics Center (MPC – CFM)
- Instituto de Agricultura Sostenible (IAS)
- The “Fundación para la Investigación del Hospital Clínico de la Comunidad Valenciana” (INCLIVA)
- The campus of International Excellence in Agrifood (CEIA3) & Cordoba University
- Barcelona School of Economics (BSE)
- Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Valdecilla (IDIVAL)
- Castilla-La Mancha Health Research Institute (IDISCAM)
The Science by Women program will provide support through senior visiting fellowships for experienced African women researchers at renowned research institutions based in Spain. These fellowships will span six months, enabling the researchers to engage in valuable collaborations and contribute their expertise towards the program’s overarching objectives.
The fields of research that are highly regarded are:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water, and Climate Change
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Safety
To conduct research effectively in the areas mentioned above, disciplines such as mathematics, information and communication technologies, physics, astrophysics, materials physics, and all other STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields play a crucial role. They provide the necessary tools and knowledge to make significant advancements and breakthroughs in these areas of study.
Benefits Of (FMxA) 2023 Science by Women Program
- Applicants who are selected will be entitled to several benefits, which include:
- Round-trip airfare from their place of departure to the hosting institution.
- A monthly living allowance of 2,400 Euros (before 24% taxes) is intended to cover accommodation expenses, personal needs, and insurance coverage for health and occupational accidents.
To be considered for the Science by Women Program, candidates must fulfill the following criteria:
- Female candidates are preferred.
- Hold citizenship in an African country.
- Possess a doctoral degree (Ph.D.), and it is preferable to have additional post-doctoral experience.
- Have an exceptional academic background, including a proven record of relevant research accomplishments.
- Currently, be affiliated with a university or a non-profit organization, either public or private, that focuses on significant scientific research in the specified fields and is based in Africa.
- Display a high level of proficiency in the English language.
The Required Documents to Apply for (FMxA) 2023 Science by Women Program:
To be eligible for the Science by Women program, individuals who wish to apply must provide the following documents:
- A Letter of Interest, which should not exceed one page in length.
- A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV), preferably in Europass format.
- A duly completed application form.
- A concise project description, consisting of a few sentences, is limited to a maximum of two pages. The description should be written specifically for the Spanish host center.
Step-by-Step Application Process of (FMxA) 2023 Science by Women Program:
Before applying for the program, individuals are required to submit their applications online through the dedicated Science by Women microsite. The microsite can be accessed by clicking the provided “apply” link. Upon accessing the microsite, applicants must create an account and log in to proceed with the application process. A list of the necessary documents can be found in the brochure, available on the official link.
Application deadline for the Science by Women Program Is September 30, 2023.
ONGOING SCHOLARSHIPS: Pan African University (PAU) Scholarship 2023/2024 Application Portal – How to Apply
Want to move to Canada In 2024? Check out how to Move To Canada With Your Girlfriend As A Waiter In 2024 Or check out Pretty Lifestyle To Canada As A Panel Beater In 2024, Also see our top Canada Scholarships for International Students 2024
You can also see our guilde on 5 Most Popular PTDF Scholarship Interview Questions Or Why study nursing in canada mytop 2024/2025.